viernes, junio 13, 2003

This is such a different world.
I'm not sure that I can explain it yet. I hope that in the future I will be able to create pictures with words for you about this trip. At first Peru was intimidating. I didn't understand anything and everything seemed ruled by confusion. As such, I've made my reservations so far through agencies but the prices have been the same or less than the Lonely Planet told me to expect. Especially in Tacna- a horrid place. All the Peruvians that I talk to agree. People on the street looked at me a little too greedily. Funny though, sometimes sitting still is an answer.

For some reason, just sitting enjoying the sun and relaxing puts out a good message about you. Maybe they think that you can't be all that bad if you just sit and enjoy and joke with whomever talks to you. Maybe I seemed a less interesting target sitting down. I don't know.

In Tacna it's VERY confusing around the bus terminal. To go from the terminal to the bus was about 5 minutes by taxi- which was included in the price of my ticket and the woman from the agency accompanied me to make sure that all was ok. When we got there, there were two buses that were closed. I understood that there was a problem, and something about the time changed.

Meanwhile, all the people that wanted to be on the two buses were sitting around in the mud and squalor and there were people walking around selling breads, mandarins, popcorn, sweets, everything...this is in addition to the vendors with carts selling different colored hot liquids, and more. Packed VERY closely in with the rest were the usualy assortment of tourist kitsch- hats, sweaters, gloves, socks, mostly on carts but also all of the old women have large bundles on their backs with wares for sale- all of alpaca and all handmade. That's what they DO all day is move around convince tourists to buy their wares and knitting all the while.

I didn't understand anything and truly felt like a stranger in a strange land and was soooo grateful that the woman from the agency stayed with me the whole time. Furthermore, she was pushy and made sure that the conductor understood that I was in the special compartment on the first level of the bus. Looking in, I was again thanking God cause my compartment had three other people and only about 10 seats in total and all became beds, I had two seats to myself and we had heat- for which I was grateful. I had noticed that everyone on the bus had heavy blankets with them to protect from the sub freezing night. I did not.

When I arrived in Puno at 5am, thinking that I would have to wait in the freezing bus station til the hostels opened, I was met by Luis (independant travel agent) who has arranged everything for me in Puno for less than the Lonely Planet quoted.

I'm feeling much more comfortable with everything now. I also found this FABULOUS internet cafe with the BEST connection and very nice keyboards to type on. I will go to Cusco tonight. I will unfortunately arrive very late (2am) and don't know what awaits me. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Food is grand. Simple but very filling meals in the places where the locals eat are only 2 or 3 sols (60-90 US cents) True, they aren't fab- but certainly the best 60-90cent meals I've had in my life. Besides, that's with a meat which is something that I've been missing (protein- oh-so-necessary for me!!) A nice large bowl of soup, rice, small salad, a bit of potatoes and a serving of fish or chicken. My daily meal prayer is of thankfulness for the food and "Please don't let this make me sick. Please don't let this make me sick."

All in all this has been the most religious trip of my life. Every minute of everyday I'm aware that I'm in God's hands.

ˇQue vida!