jueves, julio 25, 2002

From atop of Rangitoto

I am at this very moment atop of Rangitoto. After that shameful climbing incident in Spain, I opted for climbing solo. I confess, I much prefer it. It is amazing being on top of an island with many more all around. Every where I look there are trees, ferns, mountains, and rolling hills. It's heavenly. A small bird with a rust colored chest, brown, white and black on it's wings, a light blue collar and a slight tuft of a crest is hopping near me with a curious look in it's eye.

A few more hikers are making their way up now (puffing hard- Hah! I was hardly winded!)

I'm glad I bothered to get up this morning- and YES it WAS a bother. The ferry left at 9am. However. this is by far the better day for it. The only regret is that I was unable to fully explore the caves because I didn't have a flashlight. Somehow my flashing camera wasn't quite the same and besides, feeling one's way on rough lava is none too easy on the bare hands. I will remedy this for future trips and always carry a torch in my pack. I wouldn't mind a bit of elven rope for that matter...