jueves, junio 26, 2003

I have a job

I had an interview last night at the Centro de Idiomas , which is the language school part of the University here. I was told to come at 8pm but the director didn't come until nearer to 9pm. She was fab. Pretty much just accepted my experience, told me that the pay was about 255 Soles for a month long class (1&1/2 hrs a day) and I could have as many as I want. She did however feel that for them since my spanish was not so good, it would be better for me to teach Intermediate level so that I would be the same level as my students.

I get to use books with AMERICAN english!!!! After 1 and a half years of teaching British english this is a great relief! Also, the books are much better organized than many of the British counterparts (although some of the newer British books are decent- I never again want to use some of the others!!)

Class begins July 4th, and since my visa runs out on July 10th, I'm going to take a little Cross-border trip to Bolivia this week. I'll be able to leave most of my stuff here which will be nice.

Shay (Israeli guy) is leaving today for Lima. All the best to him. I'll miss him.

On my part, I realized that I was actually getting bored. It's been too long without working and if you are in one place you have no direction without work. There's only so many parades that you can watch...and other than the days in bed, I've seen about 10 days worth!

The festival of Inti Raymi, the Incan sun god was pretty cool. Every year they sacrifice a llama amidst much pomp and circumstance (dancing, costumes, bellowing by the king and rainbow flag bearers running all over the ruins) this year though, no llama. They sacrificed a youth instead. Sigh. Everyone around me in the crowd didn't mind the youth, but they really wanted the llama. I don't know why the change. A german girl told me it was because they only pretended to sacrifice the llama and last year the llama got up and walked away after it had been sacrificed. grin. Don't know if it's true.

On Sickness
Officially back on REAL food!!!!!!!! I'm so happy. I can even drink a little bit of alcohol!!!!!!! (sigh of relief). I have got to say, I have never been so thrilled about pooping in my life. Face it, it's not one of the greater joys. However, after two days of EVERYTHING coming out- even when I didn't actually have anything in my body, followed by a week of NOTHING...it's good to be regular again.

Thank God for small pleasures. :-)