sábado, noviembre 15, 2003

Well, Boston isn't exactly the goldmine I might have hoped. One, it has suffered from the economy and much like myself wandering through stores that I couldn't hope to buy anything from- employers wade through employees they would love to really have but don't have the money to hire.

sigh.

My time has flown at an unbelievable rate- or rates as the case might be. How much might I make in a week? Well, let's see.

Monday: 9:30-10:15 english lesson at about $19.40/hr (of course this is only 45 minutes and not quite an hour)
11-12:30 english lesson at about $18.20 an hour (this being an hour and a half)
6:00-7:00pm english lesson $10 (they prepare their own lesson)
Tuesday:9:30-10:15 same as Monday
11-12:30 same (unsure of the exact amount, but same as Monday)
4:00pm someone photographs my feet for $15/hr -one hour
6:00-8pm lead a social activity for students for $30
Wednesday same as Monday
plus 4 hours of prep work for Thurs. English job training. This is paid at $7/hr
Thursday same as Monday morning, then
3pm-6pm training session for another english teaching job $7/hr (the job will pay more, but training and
prep is less)
Friday same as Monday morning, with nothing in the evening except a nicer bottle of wine than Monday night's
nightcap.
Saturday: 12:30-3:30 training in a retail shop (I'm a holiday helper) for $7.40 /hr.

Sunday: No working, so I'm pretty sure that there's a little more drinking involved than on Monday. Probably some
movies too.

How much did I make in this week? I have NO IDEA!! All I know is that it's not enough to buy anything in any shops..although I DID spend $10 on new socks (5 pair), $25 on food for the week, plus I ate out twice and went out for drinks once ($3.50, $1.50 and $4.00) I'm pretty sure that that put quite a dent in my budget :-P Luckily, I don't need or want anything in the shops other than food and wine. Of course I WILL have to buy shampoo and soap in a week or two -I will get a discount at the store where I'll purchase them cause I'm a holiday helper there!

It IS an interesting show of economics supply and demand and proves that "worth" is relative. I have no doubt that I'm "worth" more than $7.40 an hour- as I'm sure that the manager paying me that knows. She just has a budget and no options, and I have one too :-)

Any of you that can figure the math on how much I made this week (you must also subtract 28% from the total for taxes excepting the $15 feet and the $10 english lessons which are cash in hand) ...if you can figure it out you'll get a gold star!

:-)

On Saturday, I have a meeting with a friend of the family who has some catering jobs in December for me, and on Monday I have an interview with YET ANOTHER english school. The wildest thing about the English schools is that they all want me, all agree to hire me, but the hours never seem to show up or are always just beyond the horizon. Crazy kids stuff.