viernes, junio 11, 2004

wine and cigarettes

The weak light of the morning sun hadn't quite reached my window when I awakened this morning to the sound of my normally-quiet-in-the-morning flatmates (all three of them) singing at the top of their lungs.

wuff. I looked at the clock..not quite 8am. Half asleep, eyelids drooping and yet aware that in order to get back to sleep I would have to rid myself of both my headache and the contents of my bladder. I considered the effort and odds of both, and took a couple of Excedrin from the drawer of my nightstand, but couldn't quite motivate myself to don clothes for a trip to the bathroom. Besides, I reasoned, if everyone was up now, in half an hour I could go unseen to the bathroom. Knowing that sleep was futile, I grabbed my book.

At 8:30am, a mere 5 or so minutes after I had turned over and finally covered my bare breasts with the sheet, I heard my door creak open. It was Omar. Having returned from a night of revelry, he wasn't prepared to sleep just yet, but was abandoned by the other flatmates (school). "Estoy en Terrassa..vino..sol.." I just stared. "What??" For some uknown reason I was waving my book around in my confusion. I'm quite sure he was just thinking, wow. She sleeps naked...."Hmm? Oh. Sorry. I am in the terrace taking wine and sun if you would care to join me."
"Oh".
(wow. she sleeps naked.)
"Ok."
"Yeah? I wait for you. Sorry for the.." (he demonstrated him opening the door.)
"It's fine."
Might as well. I got up, threw on my sunglasses, some sunscreen, a red haltertop and underwear (the shorts kind). We sat on the porch taking sun, drinking wine, smoking and generally "being" in Barcelona. Before long I got my guitar, and a little more protection (long sleeve overshirt and a skirt) from the sun.

Augustin came home and joined us, also stripped down. Then there we were, the three of us scantily clad in the sun, on a terrace belting out "La Bamba" and various songs in both Spanish and English until Omar fell asleep, at which point Augustin and I took pictures, and generally made fun until finally Augustino helped him to his room. Augustin and I finished the bottle of wine, played and sang until early afternoon when we had to get on with our day.

Viva Barcelona!