sábado, julio 12, 2003

Teaching in the university...
I had forgotten how much fun it is to teach people who aren't Chinese! It's also OH-SO-MUCH-EASIER to teach when I understand much of their language too! I'm still pretty strict about only using English in the classroom, and making them ask questions in English and not in spanish- but it's still easier. They're all a bit shy about speaking but have a good sense of humor.

-don't get me wrong, I have had many Chinese students that I came to adore, and one class that was entirely Chinese that was the best class ever- so much fun. However, on the whole, the Chinese are much harder to teach because of the vast cultural differences and attitudes. The first month was very difficult and many unpopular teachers left in tears at least once a week. These guys were easy from day one.

It's pretty cool to be teaching at the University too. Just the language section of the Uni has 4000 students!! Amazing eh? I have 26 students in one class, 25 and 20 in the others. It's not as personal as I usually like to make my classes, but I do a lot of work in smaller groups and so they all get a chance to speak and I can circulate and answer individual questions. It's nice.