domingo, junio 20, 2004

i hate waiting

There is just something about Saturdays in Barcelona which makes me pensive. Maybe it's all the wine I drank on Friday? Well you might ask. It is a mystery.

Yesterday I couldn't face the world. I lacked the will to either contact any of my friends, or to go to Andorra as planned I just didn't feel up to talking to anyone. I couldn't. You see, I bought my ticket to London, from where I'll depart for Maldives.

I'm not the most patient person (wow, suddenly I heard voices of friends and family world over all making snide comments...very unkind of you!) I've known about this job for a couple of months now, and specifically had plans for moving for exactly a month. I'm nervous. I'm sure I'll love it.

God has sent me the most amazing dreams of crystal waters and blue skies and serenity for months now. The dreams began while I was staying in Boston and seemed to be somewhat of a promise. When I wake up after these dreams I feel happy, restful and at peace. I know that all the hard stuff I've gone through in the last year is nearly finished and..well, it's like God's telling me that it's all going to be alright. Granted, it's not as much comfort as it should be when someone you love says that, but when GOD does it...well, it doesn't get any more sure than that. You just have to be patient.

I've been doing a lot of work on my book while here in Barcelona-specifically typing up all of my notes. It may seem like a life of travel and adventure is all fun and games, but- well, it ain't. This last year I was alternately hungry, vomiting, depressed, dirty, constantly sleeping someplace new (the floor at best, the street at worst). I nearly died, I was cold (so cold), I was ecstatically happy, I danced, climbed mountains, spent a lot of time with God and my guitar as my only companions as I jumped into adventure with no holds barred. I loved, I lost. I met a lot of people who are very close to my heart, and remain so. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

Throw all the bad things that could happen to you all together and what do you get? ADVENTURE

Typing my notes is to relive- but from a safe place. Thank God it's from a safe place! I don't want to face a lot of that stuff again. It's enough that I have the souvenirs (too-delicate stomach, tattoo, pierced belly button, large Maori necklace, toe rings and anklet). They remind me everyday of all that I've done in the last two years. I'm glad that they do.

We all choose are life- this is mine. I may be crazy, I may be a vagabond, I may not have anything to my name...but it's my life and that's all I need. Life is a gift.

I think two weeks from now will find me in The Maldives, in a new life. One where I don't have to wear shoes.

I'm nervous. I don't know what's in store. I never do. I promise to get lots of vaccinations before I begin my jungle trekking trips in Sri Lanka, or to India and Nepal. I'm excited. I'm apprehensive. I AM.
Thanks God.