sábado, noviembre 06, 2004

inspired and refreshed

Nightly I dream of swimming in the crystal blue waters of the Indian Ocean. There's freedom and joy. Usually I can open my eyes underwater and see as clearly as if I were wearing goggles.

Today I left my computer screen with all of its Excel sheets to go for a swimming break. Walking across the beach, my brilliant red sarong blowing open in the wind to reveal my creamy white legs, blending in with the blinding white sand stretching into the sea and finally the sky...

I left the sarong as a dot on the beach as I waded out into the the sea-sky. The colors here are like being inside of a very simple but beautiful impressionist painting. The water is cool at first and then warm as it envelops me in its saltiness. The world is flat, as I lie on my back Isee nothing but deep blue sky circling me. It's like being inside of a little snow-globe souvenir.

I have lost some of my small fears of the water. I no longer hold my nose. I am no longer afraid of the salt water in my eyes. When I first began swimming here, the water stung and it was very difficult to see. Now it's not as crystal clear as in my dreams, but I see fairly well underwater. I can dive down and examine things in detail. I can watch the fish watching me. The sand is as silky underwater as on the beach. I revel in its texture.

I love it here.