domingo, agosto 22, 2004

the big blue

Friday I swam between the two islands- something which (I think) has added to the general respect, mystification or whatever feeling that the men here have for me. A lot of the guys born and bred in these islands can't make the swim (they probably could if they believed they could-it wasn't that hard).

It was more than a little scary in the open channel- the blue is intense and you can't see the bottom the way you can in the crystal clear lagoon. You begin to imagine all of the things you have ever seen or heard of living in the ocean...not the least of which are the sharks which you've overcome your fear of in the lagoon, but here it's deeper...they're bigger, and.....

I had dragged "Barnes" (19 year old guy who also had the day off) out with me- I made him take the kayak in case I had any problems. The irony was that he had never been in a kayak before and more than once I had to move the kayak manually to put him in the right direction, not to mention the treading water with only my legs while showing him rowing techniques. He was pretty tired from fighting so much with the (calm) ocean, but determined not to be tired because I wasn't and I swam the distance.

On the way back, he was going to swim and I was going to take the kayak. Suddenly, when we were about 50 meters out, the horizon was dark. I told him to get in the kayak so that we could get back to the island before the storm. I was alarmed. He argued with me and continued swimming...and in seconds was far away from the kayak. It took me a minute to figure out that he was in a current and not just swimming the wrong way. He had no idea.

The sea was getting much rougher and I had to really fight to catch up with him (the current was under the water, not at the surface, and the wind was going the opposite direction). He argued with me- if I could swim it he could...I told him that I absolutely believed that, but pointed out that I didn't swim it in a storm! Feeling the winds picking up, I was getting very insistent, but he (later) said it was the look on my face that convinced him. He finally agreed and got in the kayak. He was in the back and I was straddling the thing in the middle so that I could more easily control it. There was no question which of us was using the one paddle back: I was experienced and he was not.

By this time, the waves were getting really rough and some were crashing over the kayak. "Barnes" , not being used to being in such a small boat was trying to stand up and look over the side and I don't know what! Fighting with the waves AND him made me quite cross. Unable to convince him of the importance of him sitting still so that I only had one battle, I finally convinced him by threatening to knock him unconscious with the oar if he didn't sit still, in one place in the middle! *

I think it made quite an impression. I was serious. He made a comment about how I didn't seem like a very nice person, a comment which I agreed with and repeated my threat. He sat still.

Having lost precious time fighting with him, the storm was full upon us, the winds and waves were making it a terrible struggle for me. (He was just bored in the back) When we finally achieved the lagoon, he began fidgeting again and fell overboard. He then grabbed onto the side of the kayak- in the middle where I had to row. The waves and wind were VERY strong now. I told him I would tow him if he held on to the back, but he couldn't stay there. He let go.....and in seconds was about 20 meters away from me. The lagoon isn't deep though, and I knew he would be alright. I was swept to the other end of the beach before I managed to land the kayak about the same time he hit shore the other direction.

It was an adventure to be sure! I learned a lot about currents and wind this day. It did not boost my confidence, but rather gave me more respect and care in the future.

*Today, when recounting it, he said that all he heard was ".....still" and he kept thinking I said, "stand still". It did not occur to him that I wanted him to SIT.... it was after all, his first time in a kayak. You can stand up in fishing boats.

I have of course promised, pending the weather, to row the kayak for him next Friday to give him the opportunity to swim the distance. I know he can. I'm hoping that in the future we can swim there and back again...but I'll watch the weather a little more carefully this time!