lunes, mayo 22, 2006

addendum....

The last entry was written with such a heavy heart that I left out some of the people of Maldives. In fact, most of the Maldivians I know are warm hearted and wonderful people. The ones that have welcomed me into their homes have been so incredible in every way. They welcomed me into their hearts, their homes and their families. They have done everything possible to be sure that I have a good time and bring back good memories of their islands.

These are the ones that I will not only remember, but cherish in my heart forever. Hana, even now is planning my final trip in the Maldives to the southern atoll of Adu. Hana is unusual for a young Maldivian woman. She's not shy, she does not need to be sheltered and lead around by the men. She's strong and full of life with a thirst for fun and adventure. She is a spectacular young woman and I'm honored that she is taking the time and effort to not only plan my trip with Mark, but to come along as our guide and companion. I first bonded with Hana over night swimming. I asked jokingly if she wanted to swim one night and her eyes lit up with that beautiful sparkle I know so well (and miss..times have been hard for her of late), and she said, "Let's go!" A few minutes later we were running and jumping off of the jetty and into the water annoying the sharks. I've loved her ever since.

...my frustrations come from living on such a small island with nothing to entertain the workers, and having so many men and so few women...and most of all from the lack of respect from the current management.