miércoles, junio 27, 2007

hijacked by Nietzsche

So, I decided that I wanted to read Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche. I found a copy on the Gutenberg press that I could download for free. THEN, I discovered that I could also download it as an audio file. "Cool," I thought.

I downloaded it and began listening. The guy reading it had a great voice for softly reading..well, anything into your ear. I was seriously getting into the voice and realised that I couldn't listen to it while I was writing. Nietzsche isn't exactly background music.

I pressed pause..."TO RECOGNISE UNTRUTH AS A CONDITION OF LIFE; that is certainly to impugn the traditional ideas of value in a dangerous manner,... and a philosophy which ventures to do so, has thereby alone placed itself beyond goodand evil..."

Hmm...that didn't work.

I tried to close the player. "-how much of personal timidity and vulnerability does this masquerade of a sickly recluse betray!" The player disappeared but the voice droned on, it's sexiness being replaced by a certain edge of suspicion. (Or was that just my imagination?)

Ctrl + Alt + Del, the three fingered salute...
"...program not responding" No kidding?!
Stop program.

"You desire to LIVE "according to Nature"? Oh, you noble
Stoics, what fraud of words!"
...I'm sure that this soft spoken yet passionate man spouting Nietzsche is not as sexy as he once appeared. How did he hijack my computer? He was no longer welcome in the intimacy of my ears.

I began closing down other programs..."Is not living valuing, preferring, being unjust, being limited, endeavouring to be different?"

With that, it stopped. I breathed a sigh of relief. A couple more quotations ran through my brain as I shut it down.
Not there yet, I thought of my favourite Nietzsche quotations,

"Blessed are the forgetful for they get the better even of their blunders."

and

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."