sábado, julio 12, 2003

Feeling better

I went back to the Dr. yesterday to check my progress and my liver before completing my course of medications. He was very pleased to see me looking so well. He mentioned that he was pleased that I wasn't wearing so many clothes... at this point I realised how he had last seen me- barely able to walk and wearing a shirt with a fleece, a jacket, a scarf, a wool hat and gloves and still freezing when everyone else was wearing just long sleeves.

It's true, salmonella felt worse than typhoid fever- but typhoid was sneaky. I was so busy vomiting and freezing that I didn't notice the high fever until it hit about 104 degrees. Apparently, I had had one for days. I had no idea that I was confused- Mark did cause he called me in the hospital and it took some convincing to tell me what day it was (I had lost a day somewhere). Today as I began looking around, I realised that it was as if I had been in a fog. I barely understood what was going on- but thought it was because it was all in spanish. After the hospital for days I was still too weak to do much. I'm finally back to myself again. It's nice to be back. I vacationed in sick and confused land for about 3 weeks.

My liver is a little swollen with all of the medications and I can`t eat anything with fat or oil for some time, but all in all I'm doing well. I go back to the Dr. in another week to do a blood test. Please keep me in your prayers that this gets typhoid out of my blood! If it's just sleeping and I'm a carrier it means that I can't cook for anyone until I'm in the clear. (To some of you this is a good reason to pray- especially if I'm going to be visiting in the future).