miércoles, junio 23, 2004

back to the strawberry blond

Thinking things over a bit, I decided that despite my preference for darker hair, going to Maldives with it might not be a good idea. It grows too fast. After 5 weeks, it's grown an inch. That's a lot of dying. What if I can't get dye there?

Sensibly, I purchased a pre-lightener and followed that with a blond. The problem was that my hair didn't follow what was on the box. It was awful. It was bright orange. I tried again with a decolorant...worse. My poor hair looked like a super orange and lemon sorbet swirl!

My flatmate Samanta did an intervention, and handed me the business card of some professionals. GO SEE THEM!! It's cheaper than doing it yourself now!! GO!!!

I went. I wore a hat. They thought it was very funny, but do-able. I made an appointment for 6pm.

It took professionals three and a half hours to fix it! They bleached the orange parts THREE times! My poor head is burned. They are fabulous though. I'm in love with Miguel, the guy and co-owner (Esther and Miguel- they're a wonderfully talented couple). Everytime they did something new, he massaged my head. By the seventh and final attempt, he was deeply massaging my head. I was torn between his fabulous hands in the rich creamy texture of dye, and the fact that it felt like slow acid on my head. The massage won out. I stayed quiet and let him finish the massage :-)

The final result was worth it. It's beautiful. It's like my own color after a few weeks of living in the sun. The back is my own strawberry blonde and the top looks like my strawberry blonded.