jueves, julio 08, 2004

tonight dinner, tomorrow i fly

Tonight is my last night in London, a city in which I have spent far too much time in the last year. My thoughts on London are different than what they were. I didn't like London at all after my first visit in 1998. I couldn't breathe at that time because the pollution was too much for my lungs. The local government has done much to clean up the city, and it's beautiful now. The air is much cleaner, probably largely due to the congestion charge - a fee which you must pay to drive in the city center.

London is a city rich in experiences just waiting to be taken advantage of. Although my spending so much time here (broke) has left me with some bitter feelings towards London, England and the English...I would say that it is simply because it is not a culture to which I am suited. There just isn't enough touching (hugs and kisses, especially in greetings and goodbyes), and the humor is somewhat different from mine.

I would recommend it on my list of must-sees of the world though, and I DO like it infinitely more than New York. London is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world. Further, inter-race, same-gender, and pretty much any kind of couples can find their way here without the open persecution that can be so common throughout the world.

Tonight I'm going to have my last dinner with my friends Tracey and Mark. Both of whom are VERY English...and lovely people. (They'll also kiss my cheek and give me a hug hello and goodbye, which raises anyone in my esteem) ;-)

Tomorrow night I'll step on that plane which will take me to yet another part of the world. Stay tuned for those adventures!