sábado, julio 31, 2004

what to do in paradise?

Work is progressing slowly but surely. The biggest thing so far I think has been just getting to know the people while I’ve been trying to implement the programs. I have spent the last two weeks assessing the needs of both islands (I live on one island, and the other one is our sister island). The first classes should begin next week. Wish me luck! I’ve never been faced with scheduling 250 people on two islands before. It’s been a tough job trying to find good class times.

The other night I was working and chatting online with my best friend on the side. I expressed my stress and frustration at the sheer size of the project in front of me. Just at that moment I was shooed out of the office by my boss and a mate so that we could all go swimming and see the sunset from the ocean. You can imagine that the sympathy level went right out of his London window. "Where will you swim?" When I replied "The ocean, where else?" There was some smarmy mumbling and something about a pool is the first assumption and then the remaining embers of sympathy were jettisoned.

I think he hasn't really come to terms with the idea of me being on an island yet. I have. Of course, here I am, surrounded on all sides by nothing but ocean, with more islands in the distance. I go between this island and our sister island by boat (how's that for a commute?). The city, or the airport with the airport hotel bar (the only bar not in a resort that serves alcohol in this Muslim country) are all a 45 minute or so commute by boat.

For all of you who think about the ideal side...think of yourself on an island like this for more than a couple of weeks. You'd be bored...unless you really love the quiet life and ocean sports. If you are a diver, it's paradise.

Of course, I'm loving it, but it's a job and not a lot of play. It's just that the play is really nice....but it's the same play each and everytime.

I DO love it. The people are lovely.