miércoles, julio 16, 2003

Taxis....
As with many major cities in the world, many people in Cusco don't know how to drive. There's not much public transport, but taxis are plentiful and besides you'd have to be crazy to drive with the taxis!

People drive on the right side of the road in Peru-well, this is the idea. I forget this cause taxis will drive in the middle or on the left in order to pass other taxis, only returning to the right side in case of near collision.

Today I was in a very small taxi trying to pass another taxi from the right hand side between the other taxi and the curb. In passing, they bumped mirrors and my taxi's sideview mirror folded in. The other taxi stopped, blocking mine in. The driver got out of his car yelling and came and started swinging punches at the face of my driver who clearly didn't see that there was any problem. To his credit, he didn't fight back (the other guy was huge), but when the man stopped beating him and got back into the other cab, my cabby followed him and continued to yell insults at him.

Once again- I was unsure of the protocol in this situation. sigh. In his agitated state, my taxi driver proceeded to nearly hit everything in sight. Fortunately, other drivers seem fairly prepared for this possibility and are pretty good at avoiding accidents. I think that's the point of driving here. It's kind of like a video game. go as fast as you can around other cars regardless of laws or right of ways, but don't crash.