sábado, julio 19, 2003

This morning there was a large skinless, headless, footless animal on the kitchen counter.
Quite a surprise. Apparently it was a sheep. Coco, the guy who has the other rentable room in the house, is a judge and lawyer in Cusco. He judged something and in payment they gave him a sheep.

Unfortunately, the Seńora of the house was very firm this morning about how we aren't allowed to cook there. It's too expensive. She will make us hot water for breakfast and that's it. She finally conceded to letting me cook the food I already bought, as long as I did it in two quick goes. Can you imagine the conversation? I had my shower stuff in one hand, three eggs in the other, and the large skinless animal lying on the counter. She had previously gone on and on about how wonderful that she had a kitchen. So, there I am in my large sweater with llamas all over it, my turquoise sarong, my disheveled morning hair and face, shower stuff in one hand and eggs in the other, discussing how I'm only allowed water for breakfast. I just stood there staring at her. "Water." ...."water."