sábado, enero 15, 2005

home at last

Returning home to the Maldives has brought about an interesting mix of emotions. The first few days were exceedingly difficult as the effects of the tsunami weighed heavily upon my mind. Some of the staff have lost their homes. More have lost most everything that they own. All have been having bad dreams since it happened.

When I first arrived back, everyone wanted to touch me- whether a handshake or a hug. It was a definite affirmation of life. There was a rumor going around that I had gone on a beach holiday in Sri Lanka. I'm not sure why- my last holiday was in Lanka and I returned home a week early because I didn't like it. (I was heavily accosted by the hard-sell habits of the locals because of my skin color.)

My hotel has been very lucky. Although it has beach front properties in Phuket, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Maldives, relatively no damage to its properties and no staff or guests were injured in anyway whether in the hotel or on holiday (some staff were on holiday in affected areas). A few people have suggested that it was karma. My hotel is unique in how much money and effort it spends in not only being an eco-friendly hotel, but also in research and programs to help the environment. Further, my hotel has programs to help the local communities through education, vaccinations- whatever is needed in the area.

Last night, the owner came to our island. He basically came to speak to the staff to assure them that no jobs will be lost because of occupancy levels. A report on the BBC surveyed hotels that are still open in the effected areas in the Indian Ocean gave an average occupancy rate of 10%-25%. The most difficult thing right now for recovery of affected areas is lack of tourists.

The most important thing for the owner of my company is helping the recovery. Our hotel is the first to do a partnership with the United Nations for extensive recovery efforts. Rotating teams of volunteers are working on rebuilding an island that was demolished by the tsunami. My classes have greatly reduced in numbers as so many people have gone home to help their families and others have volunteered to help. Across the company, employees have donated 5% or more of their salaries to the Asian Tsunami Fund, which the company has matched.

It's inspiring to see people from so many countries pull together to get something done.